[mythtv-users] MythTV build story, Part II: x86 versus AMD64?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Sep 15 14:23:51 UTC 2006

On Sep 15, 2006, at 5:26 AM, Richard Krehbiel wrote:

> I'm (slowly) getting my MythTV box running, and I'm starting to
> second-guess an earlier decision, specifically to install Fedora
> Core 5 for 32-bit x86.
>
> Now, I've been reading about how the x86 version RPMs of .20 were
> built without MMX enabled, because of which the performance has
> suffered, and how the 64 bit build didn't have that problem because
> all x86-64 platforms have MMX and SSE and SSE2, and so these
> technologies are enabled, nay required, by default.
>
> And that's led me to think I should reinstall, with 64-bit FC5.
> Considering I've not even downloaded MythTV yet* this would be the
> perfect time.
>
> Guidance?  Opinions?  Thanks.
>
> (*My Wifi adapter, the D-Link DWL-G730AP, came yesterday, and I got
> it configured and working last night.  It's a nice little adapter.
> There was one hiccup; when I configured the thing to support DHCP -
> by default it wants me to have a static IP - Fedora came up without
> a default route.  I had make one manually - "route add default -gw
> <ip>".)

The only issue I've had specific to running AMD x86_64 is that
LCDproc doesn't compile for me. INSTALL states, "The server needs to
talk to the LCD display. At this time, it works on very little more
than on the Intel i386 (PC Compatible) architecture."

I can't comment on speed except to say I'm happy with it. Before
this, I was running a dual PIII-733 box and wasn't happy with the
speed for things like transcoding and I never attempted HD with it.