[mythtv-users] ATSC & QAM

Paul V. Gratz pgratz at gratz1.com
Fri Sep 15 15:23:06 UTC 2006

On Thursday 14 September 2006 23:29, jafa wrote:
> >> Shameless plug, but check out HDHomeRun (www.silicondust.com) - it has
> >> two tuners and you can use one for ATSC and one for QAM.
> >>
> >> My home system has 4 x ATSC tuners (2 x HDHomeRun) and 2 x QAM tuners (1
> >> x HDHomeRun).
> >>
> >> Nick

Hmmm, well now I'm really starting to get interested about this piece
of hardware. A couple quick questions:

1. Can you have one tuner do QAM while the other does ATSC or would I
   have to get two HDHomeRuns (basically I see two connectors on the
   box does it have two independent inputs)?

2. My backend is a 3GHz P4 but my front ends are more in the 1.6GHz P4
   range.  It sounds like they don't have the horse power for playing
   HD, would it be feasible to down convert somewhat for playing a
   reduced HD later (as I do with 80% of my programs right now for
   storage reasons) and keep my PVR-500 for live TV?

Thanks!
Paul