[mythtv-users] MythTV on PIII (i815)

Gregory Keeney gkeeney at panasas.com
Fri Sep 15 18:13:09 UTC 2006

Dewey Smolka wrote:
> On 9/14/06, Daniel Piccoli <piccoli.dan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have installed Myth TV on my PIII 1Ghz machine and SDTV broadcasts
>> work beautifully. [...]
>>
>> The question is, is there any 4x AGP video card that I can use that will
>> enable me to watch HDTV smoothly?
>>

> No. There's no card anywhere that will allow you to watch HD on this processor.
>
> Note, however, that this machine may be capable of recording HD with
> the help of a hardware-encoding card (pcHDTV) or through firewire --
> only involves dumping MPEG-2 to disc.
>
> But to decode HDTV, you'll need something in the area of a P4 2.5 GHz
> with an XvMC-capable video card. The cards to look for are nvidia 5x00
> or 6x00 series.
You do have the option of transcoding th HD content down to SD (set the
scale option in the transcoder to use 480 for the height (and 0 i.e.,
autoscale, for the Width). It can take a *long* time for these
transcodes to complete. But it often provides access to content that is
otherwise unavailable.

Where I live there are a number of stations that don't simulcast in SD.
I have system that can _barely_ playback HD using XvMC, but since my TV
is SD, I set everything up to transcode anyway.

If you have an HD television, however, this is probably not what you want.

--
Gregory Keeney