[mythtv-users] M-Audio Soundcard

Bish, Tim Tim.Bish at Sensis.com
Fri Sep 15 18:21:04 UTC 2006

> On 9/15/06, Chris Hembrow <chris.hembrow at pixelseventy2.net> wrote:
> > I am in the market for a new soundcard, and want something decent to
> connect to my Rotel amp. This is a second sound card, just for
mythmusic.
> The main onboard soundcard is used for everything else, connected
directly
> to my TV. I am very interested in the M-Audio 2496 as it seems to
offer
> good performance and gold-plated rca connectors rather than 3.5mm
jacks,
> for a good price.
> >
> > I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with this card and
> *nix/mythtv, and also whether the digital pass-through works. I won't
want
> the pass through initially, as I don't have a surround sound amp, but
> wanted to know if this card would be suitable in the future.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Chris
>
> I have the M-Audio Delta 410.  Sound quality is excellent.  It does
> take a somewhat "special" .asouncrc file to get the S/PDIF passthrough
> to work, but once you have that, it works great.

I bought one of these: ( CMedia Based )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829130002

I only had to change a couple settings in alsamixer to get Optical
output working.  Might not be the best choice for hooking up to the
Rotel though as its probably pretty crappy for anything but Digital
Pass-through.  Cheap Though :)