[mythtv-users] Most Reliable FS. XFS maybe causing crash

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Fri Sep 15 19:20:34 UTC 2006

On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 01:10:31PM -0600, Mark wrote:
> I have about 700G on a SW RAID with XFS.  I am seeing crashes and it may be
> due to XFS oopsing the kernel.

I think you ought to probe that a bit more.  We are using XFS on dozens
of servers here, all of which should be seeing much more rigorous usage
than MythTV, and have never had such a problem.

Things to consider:

1) This could actually be a symptom of a hardware problem

2) What kernel are you using?  If it isn't one from kernel.org, your
   distribution vendor may have patched XFS and broken it

3)

> Question, is ext3 the MOST reliable ( but performant enough ) FS to go with?
> Reliability at this point is pretty critical so....
> I was using XFS on Jerods guide recommend but JFS may also be an option but I
> know little about it.

We have had problems with JFS and reiser (all versions) relating to data
integrity after a crash.  XFS and ext3 are the only journal ones I'd
call reliable.  Note that XFS crash sematics are only as reliable as
ext3 after 2.6.17.

-- John