[mythtv-users] Most Reliable FS. XFS maybe causing crash

Trey Boudreau trey at treysoft.com
Fri Sep 15 20:00:52 UTC 2006

On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 01:32:28PM -0600, Mark wrote:
> On Friday 15 September 2006 13:29, Trey Boudreau wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 01:10:31PM -0600, Mark wrote:
> > > I have about 700G on a SW RAID with XFS.  I am seeing crashes and it may
> > > be due to XFS oopsing the kernel.
> >
> > I, too, thought I had problems with XFS oopsing the kernel.  It turns
> > out I had a bad NIC (integrated on the motherboard, unfortunately), that
> > failed only under heavy load.
>
> How did you get the info to determine that it was the NIC?  I would love to be
> able to pin this down rather than stabbing away at things.

You have to think of ways to exercise the various components.

For the disk, you can try various IO benchmarks, or you can use dd to
copy various large files around.

For the NIC, you want send and/or receive data as quickly as possible.
You'll also want to have some disk I/O in there in case bus contention
comes into play.  If you have a non-XFS partition on the SW RAID drive,
you can scp a large file from it to another machine's /dev/null.

With more details about your hardware configuration, we can probably
come up enough tests to find your problem.

-- Trey