[mythtv-users] Cutting commercials after transcoding

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 02:22:04 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I've been trying to crack this nut on and off for a couple days and am
hoping someone here has some insight.

I want to free up some space on my recording partition by moving a
bunch of recordings to my MythVideo directory (on a separate and
non-LVMed disc). The recordings are flagged, but Mythvideo (mplayer)
doesn't apply the cutlists.

New recordings are auto com-flagged then autotranscoded. However, I'm
not able to re-transcode them from within the FE -- mythbackendlog
shows unkown codec messages. I'm using Autodetect as the transcode
setting and recording on a PVR 250, running 0.19.

I tried using nuvexport but found it intolerably slow -- it ran about
1-3 fps on a P4 2.5 machine -- and not very good quality. Plus it
failed to apply the cutlists although I'm quite sure I told it to.

So I tried running mythtranscode from the command line and got much
better results. The command I used was:
[mythtv at mythbackend ~]$ mythtranscode -i
/mythlibrary/1012_20060312190000.nuv -o
/home/mythtv/Simpsons_-_Seemingly_Neverending_Story.mpg -l -p
autodetect --showprogress -v all

It succesfully (and quickly) cut the commercials, but the resulting
file was significantly larger than the source file -- 592 MB vs 384
MB.

I've been trying to find what other arguments can follow -p (profile)
but haven't been able to find any. Putting anything else there (e.g.
MPEG4, mpeg4, Xvid, xvid, etc) returns an unkown profile error.

The -p switch seems to want a number, or autodetect, as an argument
but I can't find any source about what numbers represent what
profiles.

Am I going about this the right way? I'd like to be able to figure out
how to do this from the command line so the whole process could be
scripted.

What arguments does -p take other than autodetect?

Thanks for any help,

Dewey Smolka