[mythtv-users] What's the new (0.20) way to add channels to existing lineup?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Sep 16 06:34:00 UTC 2006

On 09/15/06 19:43, Dennis Lou wrote:

>In 0.19, if I had a line-up all set with only the channels I wanted
>then later decided that I want one the channels I had previously
>deleted from myth and unselected from zap2it, I would go back
>to zap2it, re-select the channel and wait for the next mythfilldatabase
>to push that channel back into myth.
>
>In 0.20, I noticed that you can't do this any more and that
>mythfilldatabase --help says "New channels are automatically
>removed for DVB and HDTV sources that use DataDirect."
>
>So how would I re-add a DVB/HDTV channel (or "add" if a new channel
>came into my line-up)?  Without X?
>
>I also noticed that --manual seems to have no
>effect on mythfilldatabase in my setup.

AIUI, for digital sources because there's more setup required than for
analog sources (i.e. analog just needs a frequency ID), you'll need to
use the channel scanner to pick up new channels.  Make sure you also
enable the channel in your DataDirect lineup.

You /can/ add new channels using mythfilldatabase, but you have to pass
in the "--do-channel-updates" argument and it does some destructive
changes (i.e. changes callsigns and channel numbers and ...), and once
you do this, the channel is unlikely to tune correctly because you
haven't yet done the channel scan.  So, using the scanner/editor should
be the first approach you try.

Mike