[mythtv-users] AC3 Passthru doesn't work on Nforce4 ALC850

ubulid00 ubulid00 at fastmail.fm
Sat Sep 16 21:14:33 UTC 2006

Branden Stanley wrote:

> Set Myth audio to:
> ALSA:spdif
> default for the mixer
> Enable ac3 passthrough
>
> Done.
>
> **the mixer was crashing on me so I needed to kill and reload the app
> 4 times to get everything sorted out...

This is interesting- My ALSA:spdif mythtv output setting doesn't work at
all!  However, some of the other alsa devices do work, but only for non-AC3
sources, as before.
For example, using:
mplayer bjorn.ac3 -ao alsa:device=front
will work, taking the ac3 and downmixing it to regular-old 2ch digital
stereo with liba52. Adding an -ac hwac3 gives no sound output on the digital
ports, and repeating "click" sounds out of the normal analog outputs.

The devices that do work for 2ch spdif are: front, surround40, surround41,
surround50, surround51, default, dmix
The devices that do not work at all are:  iec958, spdif, cards, rear,
center_lfe, side, surround71,, modem, phoneline, dsnoop

What could this mean?  The working 2 channel output devices work over the
optical cable, leading me to thing that I at least have digital output
working, but why would iec958 and spdif devices not be working?

Very strange, any ideas?