[mythtv-users] Gigabit network (Was: Re: mythvideo and NFS)

jack snodgrass mrlinuxgroups at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 17:15:01 UTC 2006

On 9/17/06, Daniel A. Segel <mythtv at archer-segel.com> wrote:
> jack snodgrass wrote:

> >> I've been messing with a gigabit network at home but am having a hard
> >> time getting any real improvements, partly because I can't get my NICs
> >> (RTL8169-based Linksys cards) to accept an MTU above about 6000.
> >>
> >> What network cards are you using, and what's your MTU set to?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Daniel
> >>

> > I use a 9000 byte MTU.
> >
> > I've found in my testing that gigabit doesn't really buy you anyting
> > UNLESS you can get your hardware to do at least a 9000 byte MTU.
> >
> > The switch is the hardest part to find cheap.   Recently, the
> > NETGEAR GS608 came out with a V2 version that works with
> > 9000 byte MTUs. It says it on the box... the V1 version did not
> > do jumbo frames and did not say it on the box. You need the V2
> > version... they run $60 from new egg. Besides the Netgear V2 GS608,
> > the SMC 850 ( there is a 5 port and 8 port version ) support 9K MTUs.
> > they are under $100 too.... most other gigabit switches do NOT support
> > jumbo frames.
> >
> > On the NICs, my motherboard have onboard gigabit nics and they
> > happend to support jumbo frames. I'm using the skge and forcedeath
> > drivers. As with the switches, you have to make sure that your
> > NICs do 9000 byte jumbo frames. Google has a couple of good
> > jumbo frame supported hardware pages. ( the GS608 V2 stuff is
> > new so some info still says that the GS608 does not do jumbo
> > frames )
> >

> One of my switches is a GS108, which they do claim supports jumbo frames
> (9000MTU at least), but a little further research shows that my NICs
> only support up to about 7000. The other switch in my network is a
> D-Link model that has a tendency to crash and go offline anyway, so I'll
> probably be replacing it soon anyway.
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> Daniel

FYI: With my setup, I'm presently recording two HD NFL games on my
front end writing to my NAS drive and I've got VLC running on my
desktop box reading from the NAS drive showing one of the games.
No pauses / glitches / bumps / etc. My 3 box, 10 drive setup in my
office does get a bit warm. I moved all of my drives to a 'NAS' box
in hopes of moving that NAS box out of my office to another part of
my house... spread the heat and noise a little. Trying to convince
my wife that we 'need' a 2TB NAS box in the living room ;)

jack