[mythtv-users] OT: best way to connect IDE harddrives and dvd

Matt Mossholder matt at mossholder.com
Sun Sep 17 17:51:26 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-17 at 17:23 +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:
> I never heard that one before, are you sure its true? It would mean that the
> number of blocks in the outside cylinders was larger than the number on the
> inside (which is plausible with LBA) but I thought each cylinder had the same
> number of blocks.
>
> My reasoning for putting the partition where I did, is more to do with head
> movement. Its sitting between root and the other data, so minimising the
> movement of the heads to reach the swap area.  If you put swap at the outside
> the heads have further to go on average.

The rotational speed of the disk will always be highest at the outside
edge. It has to be, just by the laws of physics.

Here's a link to the Partition How-To from the Linux Documentation
Project. http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Partition/requirements.html#SwapSize
Section 4.4.3 covers placement of the swap partition.

Only older disks used the same number of sectors per track... I am not
even sure that many people have disks of that variety anymore. The newer
disks cram in as many sectors as they can, which means that you get
better performance at the edge rather than in the middle.

		--Matt