[mythtv-users] My Perennial Problems with XvMC

Paul Andreassen paulx at andreassen.com.au
Mon Sep 18 10:17:27 UTC 2006

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 11:51 am, Dylan Semler wrote:
> > I recall you had 2
> > monitors/TVs hooked up to this card.  Have you tried launching myth on
> > the other monitor/tv?  Just trying to see if this might be the card.
> > Forgive me if you've posted this: are you using mirrored desktops on
> > your video card for the 2 monitors/TVs?
>
> After seeing that the other gentleman was having success with the 6200
> through his DVI port, I turned off twinview and tried running myth
> singlehead through the DVI port and then singlehead through the VGA
> port.  This made no difference.  So once again I'm back to TwinView,
> which if you're not familiar is like Xinerama (spanning desktop).

When I was setting up my desktop machine, I played with TwinView and Xinerama.
I settled on Xinerama.

Xinerama
    advantages
        video overlay only first display
        rgb overlay only first display
    disadvantages
        no video overlay on second display
        no rgb overlay on second display
        no suspend on second display  (bug to be fixed)
        no opengl on second display with xinerama  (bug to be fixed)

TwinView
    advantages
        opengl can span two screens
    disadvantages
        no video overlay
        no rgb overlay
        no suspend on second display  (bug to be fixed)

My graphics card and drivers are a bit old:

nVidia Corporation NV35 [GeForce FX 5900 Ultra]
nvidia driver 7174
XFree86 Version 4.3.0.1 (Debian 4.3.0.dfsg.1-10.1unichrome30.1 20050205195924
glaweh@)

From my testing TwinView gives opengl on both screens but you loose video
overlay (only on models less then 6000) and rgb overlay, completely.

Probably not a help,
Paul