[mythtv-users] [Semi-OT] MythDorm

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Sep 18 13:40:29 UTC 2006

On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 01:27:01AM -0600, Mike Grusin wrote:
> I can understand no servers, but what would be wrong with a router?  That
> would have been my suggestion for solving your problem - a little Linksys
> box would insulate your dorm room network from the rest of the world (no
> exposed servers), but still let your Mythbox get its listings when needed.
> In fact, I'm not sure how they could even detect a NAT router; it should
> look like one IP to the outside world.

If you clone the router's MAC address to that of your workstation, then
the odds they could detect it drop markedly; that's the number one way
they check.

They could still fingerprint it, and decide that it's a Linksys or
whatever, but those companies make ethernet cards, too...

Cheers,
-- jra

	"That's women for you; you divorce them, and 10 years later,
	  they stop having sex with you."  -- Jennifer Crusie; _Fast_Women_