[mythtv-users] [Semi-OT] MythDorm

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 16:03:13 UTC 2006

On 9/18/06, Ivan Kowalenko <ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 18, 2006, at 03.27, Mike Grusin wrote:
>
> > Ivan writes:
> >> Hi. I'm writing with an interesting problem. In my dorm, I am not
> >> allowed to run a router, nor am I allowed to run any sort of file
> >> server.
> >
> > I can understand no servers, but what would be wrong with a
> > router?  That would have been my suggestion for solving your
> > problem - a little Linksys box would insulate your dorm room
> > network from the rest of the world (no exposed servers), but still
> > let your Mythbox get its listings when needed. In fact, I'm not
> > sure how they could even detect a NAT router; it should look like
> > one IP to the outside world.
>
> See, that's what I thought. Catch is that all devices are registered
> by their MAC address through a web browser, or by manually calling
> NSS. They won't register the router. Besides, I tried it. I'm not
> exactly sure I want to get on their bad side.

Add a second ethernet card (and turn on IP forwarding+NAT) and your
Linux/MythTV box becomes a router without changing anything visible to
the dorm network.  Stick your xbox off of your new "internal" ethernet
port and traffic between the two won't be detectable on the outside.

You may also need to configure some services to only bind to the
internal interface so they don't 'leak' unwanted traffic like, SMB
service broadcasts, or accept inbound connections.   You could also
use firewall rules to limit what get out to the dorm network.