[mythtv-users] HDMI Capture

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Sep 18 13:49:23 EDT 2006

On 09/18/06 11:01, Steven Adeff wrote:

>On 9/18/06, list at onnow.net <list at onnow.net> wrote:
>

>>Quoting Gene Stapp <genestapp at gmail.com>:

>>>I emailed the blackmagic development team about the intensity card. It
>>>looks like on the fly compression is doable with a dual core from what
>>>they are saying.

>>>1. In the Windows platform, we allow the user to capture and compress
>>>on the fly to a JPEG format while on the Mac, to DV, PhotoJPEG as
>>>well as DVCPRO HD. A fast processor will be necessary and also a
>>>capture friendly codec. Certain codecs don't fare well with on the
>>>fly compression, d.g. HDV.
>>>
>>This is excellent.  I for one, would be willing to shell out for 8
>>drives in a raid and the card.  Whats the next step from here?
>>Linux drivers?
>>

>Or an Intel Dual Core for on the fly mpeg2 encoding. Or a "PVR"
>version of the card with onboard mpeg encoding...

I still don't think you'll get real-time compression of 1080i60 or
720p30 to MPEG-2 in real time (let alone MPEG-4 Part 2 or MPEG-4 Part 10
(H.264)).  The RTJPEG (or is it just thousands of sequenced JPEG images
on disk?) is doable with the right processor, but MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 will
probably require post-capture transcoding with any processor available
today.

Mike