[mythtv-users] OT: best way to connect IDE harddrives and dvd

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Sep 18 18:39:50 UTC 2006

On Sep 18, 2006, at 12:04 PM, chris at cpr.homelinux.net wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 09:29:21AM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
>> On Sep 18, 2006, at 12:53 AM, chris at cpr.homelinux.net wrote:
>>> (2) Unlike the ST-506 days, the CHS values reported by IDE drives
>>> are totally fake.  Telling fdisk that you want a partition to be in
>>> the middle of the drive doesn't actually mean it will be on the
>>> middle cylinder.
>> BTW - wasn't that ST-502 not 506? or is my early-onset Alzhiemer's
>> kicking in ? I assume you meant the interface with the two separate
>> cables for control and data, sometimes mistakenly called "MFM", which
>> is an encoding method not an interface.
>
> Time to start those Alzheimer's drugs. :-)
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ST-506
>
> The other common interfaces in the early 80's were ST-412 and ESDI.
>
> You're right, though, that MFM was an encoding and not an interface.

I think I was confusing 412 and 506 in what remains of my brain.

The 506 interface was often called "MFM" to distinguish it from early
IDE drives but that's just plain wrong, as the early RLL-encoded
drives used that interface as well.

For some historical interest see:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,127105;RSS,RSS/article.html