[mythtv-users] New system: hard freezes - looking for help !

Trey Thompson trey at verustech.com
Tue Sep 19 21:45:19 UTC 2006

> 1. What usually cause hard freeze (no any reaction to KB, mouse - only
> hard reset) ?. I always think that interrupt issues are main source.

Are you sure it's a full hard freeze?  I had the same symptoms, however
someone on the list suggested that I still SSH to the box from another
machine.  Did that, and the system was actually still running, it was
just the X session that was frozen.

Turned out to be an nVidia driver thing for me.  Proper driver
installed, all's well!

> 2. I start to switch off in BIOS all possible peripherals: USB,
> Serials/LPT - still freezes (came to config with: HDD, Eth, Video and
PVR)
> 3. I replace on-board Eth with PCI Intel LAN card - no change
>
> What procedure are You suggesting for  nailing down this problem ?

See if you can SSH into the box.