[mythtv-users] [Semi-OT] MythDorm

Paul V. Gratz pgratz at gratz1.com
Wed Sep 20 00:58:08 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 19 September 2006 16:28, Ivan Kowalenko wrote:
> Truth be told, I'd rather fly as low under NSS's radar as possible.
> I'm willing to give up the XBox, and right now I'm just considering
> putting a monitor on the backend and use it for both jobs (With the
> PVR-150, except for commflag jobs, the system mostly idles). I was
> thinking using a FireWire card and also use my laptop as a front-end,
> but I'm not sure how to tell the machine to direct ONLY data to this
> network interface.

> As far as MAC spoofing, I don't know how to do that, but it'd just be
> a lot simpler for me to register the computer with NSS, claiming it
> as a Linux workstation, since the reg tool works with Linux/FireFox.
> Either way, I'd like to avoid that, though.

I agree, don't do any MAC spoofing or hook anything else onto the dorm
network but the linux backend box.  Just setup two separated networks
on that linux box.  Actually the firewire-network thing would work
exactly the same as putting a separate network card in the linux box
as far as this goes, so maybe that is the easier course. In either
case you will have more than one network interface.  The choice is up
to you whether you want to route from the internal one to the outside
world or not, its somewhat simpler to setup if you don't.  More
details about how to setup the internal network are dependent on your
linux distribution (I run gentoo, if that is what you are on I can
help you more here).

As far as how to make the application only talk on the internal
interface, this depends on the application. For mysql (the backend
database that mythtv uses) look in the file /etc/mysql/my.cnf for the
line:

bind-address = xxxxx

and set xxxx to the ip address of the internal interface.  Similarly
for samba look in /etc/samba/smb.conf for this line:

   interfaces = eth0

and replace eth0 with whatever the interface name of your internal
interface is.  For mythtv just make sure that you set the IP addresses
under the "General" tab of mythtv-setup to be the IP address of the
internal interface.

I'm not sure if you want to run any other daemons bound only to the
internal net but those are the minimum you meed for mythtv (well samba
is not necessary unless you are using it for file sharing that myth
needs).  After all that you should be able to connect to the myth
backend machine from any other machine on your internal network
(whether that internal network is firewire or ethernet).

Good Luck!
Paul