[mythtv-users] IR Blaster and Channel change script for Myth TV

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 03:02:51 UTC 2006

On 20/09/06, PROTEK <tek at protekhawaii.com> wrote:

>  Also the STB box I had before I took it back was a Scientific Explorer 2100
> ( if I remember right ) There does not seem to be any remote codes for it..

This is the root of many problems when using IR blasters to control
STBs (although the smart blasters may well save the day here by
learning the remote control for the STB). If lirc.org or Google fail
to turn up a config for your STB remote, you have to either make one,
or use a learning IR transceiver such as the MyBlaster like Brian
suggested.

I use "dumb" serial blasters with no problems, and that includes
having recorded a config file using a "dumb" IR receiver with RC-5
header using irrecord (took about 10 minutes for a 25 button remote).

>  Short and long I could get LIRC compiled and working but never emitting
> anything useful as far as channel changing.

If you have a config for the remote, and a blaster capable of emitting
those codes, you're all set.

>  I gave up it was just not worth all this hassle for a couple digital
> channels, There has to be an easier way to change channels for us that have
> crippled cable boxes..

The MythTV wiki has a useful page -
http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Using_an_IR_Blaster_with_MythTV - and
I know the losdos.dyndns page has been online for a couple of years
with important information if you find yourself needing to compile a
separate instance of LIRC (I've gotten around this by soldering my
serial receiver and blasters onto a single DB9 connector which allows
me to run a single instance of LIRC but have full IR capability.

--
Nick

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/