[mythtv-users] My Perennial Problems with XvMC

Dylan Semler dylan.semler at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 05:56:17 UTC 2006

On 9/20/06, chris at cpr.homelinux.net <chris at cpr.homelinux.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 08:05:31PM -0600, Norm Dugas wrote:
> > I would check to make sure it's not a bus issue or a shared IRQ issue
> > (if you've got AGP and PCI, don't know about PCIe).  Mobo docs should
> > say something about IRQ assignments.  As for the bus issue, google would
> > be my friend.
>
> Note that almost all motherboards physically share IRQ lines
> between different PCI slots and the mobo resources, so often the
> only way to put two devices onto different interrupts is to
> physically move the card to a different slot.  Changing the IRQ
> assignment for one card won't have any effect as the other will
> follow it.

<snip>

> Once I moved the IDE adaptor to a different slot the problem went
> away.

Just did a lot of testing with no real results.

Weary of a power supply issue, I unplugged the secondary hard drive,
both CD-ROM drives, and then removed my PCI USB2.0 card and my PCI
gigabit ethernet card.  This left only the HD-3000, the sound card,
and the AGP video card plugged in.  I booted and got the same results.

I then went through and tried plugging the HD-3000 into each of the
open PCI slots with the same results.  I even tried placing some tin
foil in between the graphics card and the HD-3000 to block any
radiation.  Yeah that didn't do anything either.

I also double checked my old 4200 and it seems I was wrong about it.
There is no picture deterioration while using XvMC, only many
prebuffering pauses.  Also, there was no picture deterioration or loss
in signal lock when scrolling through webpages like before.  So it may
be related to this new card.

I suppose I could try removing the sound card, but now that I realize
it worked with the 4200, I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

Any way there could be a bus/irq issue with one graphics card over another?

Cheers,
--
Dylan

Type faster.  Use Dvorak: