[mythtv-users] Resolution / Aspect Ratio Mismatch - Proper Setup?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Sep 20 08:06:14 UTC 2006

On 09/20/06 03:16, David Rees wrote:

>I have a 42" plasma whose native resolution is 1024x768 (4:3) but is
>your standard 16:9 viewable ratio. This means that the pixes are not
>square and are instead wider than they are tall.
>
>Everything I've read says that I _must_ set X to do 100x100 DPI,
>otherwise I can't expect any themes to work quite right.
>
>But, I obviously can't do 100x100 DPI because that will stretch
>everything horizontally. Setting the DPI to 75x100 gets things looking
>normal and I can watch normal 4:3 content boxed as well as various
>wide format DVDs and everything looks OK.
>
>So far I've managed to finally tweak font sizes to get things to look
>ok in the majority of cases and along with a wide Theme, things look
>OK.
>
>Should I be doing something different? Or is this the "right" way to
>handle this type of situation?

Current SVN can handle non-square pixels.  However, you must specify a
DisplaySize such that the calculated aspect ratio is that of your
physical display (i.e. if you have a 16:9 TV, make sure the DisplaySize
you provide has a 16:9 ratio).  Any DPI (even different DPI's on the X
and Y axes) works.

If you're using NVIDIA display drivers, be very careful--as they will
ignore DisplaySize and DPI by default.

Mike