[mythtv-users] suggestions for pci-e nvidia 6xxx for 1080p?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Sep 20 15:26:17 UTC 2006

On Sep 20, 2006, at 8:14 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> I've got a fx5300 right now (FX5200 on a pci-e board), and want to get
> a 6200(or any 6xxx) series that has dual link support for 1080p (the
> TV should be in the apt in the next few days, yay!).
>
> Anyone currently running a pci-e 6200 for 1080p output care to
> recommend which card they ended up purchasing? I know it shouldn't
> matter, but as some will atest, not all nvidia based cards are created
> equal.

I've got a BFG GeForce 6600-OC 512MB card and quite happy with it.
The fan's a bit loud, but I guess if it bothered me that much I would
replace it with a Zalman solution. It's a little overkill for myth
but I figured I wanted something with lasting power and I could use
it for anything else I wanted in the future. It was around $200 at
Best Buy.

I had originally bought a PNY Verto GeForce 6600 256MB card. It's
about $150. I was having all kinds of issues with my machine not
booting and locking up with it. I returned it for the BFG, but then
discovered I had cracked my motherboard. I got a new motherboard and
no problems since so I can't really comment on the PNY other than to
say it was about as loud as the BFG and worked ok between motherboard
crashes. :)

Oh.. and I'm using this on a Westinghouse 42" 1080p display and
running at full 1080p res. Honestly, I don't see a difference between
1080i and 1080p.