[mythtv-users] Multiple instances of mythfrontend allowed?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 13:35:44 UTC 2006

On 9/19/06, Jeff Coffler <jeff-list-mythusers at taltos.com> wrote:
> My frontend hardware (an Asus M2NPV-VX Motherboard with an onboard
> nvidia 6150 graphics card) has an interesting feature: It allows you to
> run multiple X sessions, and output different sessions on different
> ports (one session on the VGA connector, another session on the S-Video
> connector).

ain't X grand!

> I currently output a signal locally to where the frontend is (on a 50"
> plasma), and modulated on a channel for a few small TVs located in the
> house.
>
> The machine is plenty powerful for me right now.  So CPU isn't an issue.
>
> Is it possible to run two independent instances of mythfrontend on this
> box (one on the first X session, one on the second X session)?
> Preferably, I'd like to do so by passing a parameter (or a setting) to
> the mythfrontend to force the "custom identifier" field to something
> different so that each frontend can have independent settings.  I use
> the network interface (the network control port) to control
> mythfrontend, so as long as I can set the network control port to
> something unique (should be trivial with a custom identifier), I could
> control both frontends independently without LIRC issues or anything
> like that.
>
> So ... possible to run two instances of mythfrontend on one box?  What
> are the issues involved with this, if any?

Yes. Easiest way is to create multiple users, one for each output. You
will also need a different video card for each output, which if your
just doing standard def you can use multiple PCI video cards with TV
out. If you want HD out on more than one screen, you may need to look
into a motherboard with PCIe (didn't check if yours has or not) and
use multiple PCIe Nvidia cards. With XvMC and enough CPU you should be
able to handle this.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!