[mythtv-users] LIRC Problem, MTV.20, FC5

Tom Greer trgreer at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 00:57:32 UTC 2006

On Sep 21, 2006, 8:24 AM, Ian Macdonald said:

> lirc has its own mailing list, with even more lirc experts than this
> list. You might want to try there.

The lirc mailing list is mostly useless.

Many times I have searched the list looking for solutions to my problems,
only to come up dry.  I could find many postings requesting help with
symptoms like mine - all unanswered.

For example, during the month of September, there have been 20 new threads
started.  Of those 20, only 11 have responses.

So *please* don't give people seeking lirc assistance here the brush off.

Without lirc, mythtv really can't work as a DVR.  So users have to be able
to get help.  In my opinion, we ought to be happy to assist here.

Just my opinion.

Maybe everyone else has the lirc installation process down cold; but for me,
getting lirc to work is the most frustrating part of mythtv installation.
It never works first time.  I gave up on my streamzap remote (it's in a
drawer) and went to a serial IR receiver.  Once lirc works, it's very
reliable.  But every install (I've done 4, 2 on Fedora and 2 on Ubuntu) has
been a unique adventure.

Tom