[mythtv-users] Happy Anniversary

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Sep 22 02:28:15 UTC 2006

On Sep 21, 2006, at 9:08 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:

>>> This looks like you've had mythfrontend running three hours of
>>> CPU per day, I
>>> hope that doesn't involve sitting in front of the telly that long.
>>
>> That could simply be the time that the little preview is eating when
>> sitting on an entry in the recorded programs menu.
>>
>> I have suggested before that there be an activity timeout in that
>> menu
>> that either backs out of it or disables the preview so that an
>> idle FE
>> doesn't chew so much CPU.
>
> or use up energy if your CPU supports throttling.

Both good points, and I'm sure a lot of that CPU is what was
suggested. I think I probably average perhaps 1 or 1.5 hour of actual
viewing per day. I often just leave it on the MythWeather display
though.

The system does nothing but run Myth, so I really don't care about
burning CPU cycles, but the point about energy consumption is
certainly valid, and the CPU is an AMD Athlon64 3700+ (Clawhammer),
which does support throttling, so it would certainly benefit from the
suggested feature.

Guess I'll just make a point to not leave the system on a program
listing for the time being, to be kinder to the Earth if nothing else.