[mythtv-users] Swamped by repeats

William Munson wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Fri Sep 22 11:26:49 UTC 2006

Dawson, Guy wrote:
> Has any one got any ideas regarding the duplication of recording that
> occurs on UK DVB when using tv_grab_uk_rt?
>
> I'm using 0.18 which generally works fine, so I'm leaving alone for
> now.  However,  I would like to be able to record series of shows by
> simply setting record always with duplicate detection.  This way, I
> give the scheduler maximum scope to record all programs and avoid
> conflicts.
>
> The problem is that those kind people at the Radio Times seem to have
> a haphazard approach to the data feed,  and we get the same episode
> sub-titled and/or described in various ways.  Naturally Myth sees
> these as different programs and records them all.
>
> This happens with Lost, Doctor Who,  ER and any number of shows.  Lost
> is especially bad, as there are something like 6 airings of a given
> episode.
>
> I have had a few ideas,  but have yet to try them out through lack of
> time / experience.
>
> Has anyone else found a solution to this?
>
> Guy Dawson

Upgrade to a newer version which supports improved logic for duplicate
detection. Even this is not 100% duplicate free but using features like
"make one recording of this show each week" seems to fix the stubborn
dups. Another possibility would be to not dup check on program
description, only title and sub-title.