[mythtv-users] Swamped by repeats

Dawson, Guy Guy.Dawson at eu.sony.com
Fri Sep 22 11:49:09 UTC 2006

> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Swamped by repeats
>
> In message
> <F54D246F88E1544892CA2F7FDC1163DE33C841 at GBISE0BASMSX02.eu.sony.com>
>         Guy Dawson <Guy.Dawson at eu.sony.com> wrote:
>
> > The problem is that those kind people at the Radio Times
> seem to have
> > a haphazard approach to the data feed,  and we get the same episode
> > sub-titled and/or described in various ways.  Naturally Myth sees
> > these as different programs and records them all.
> >
> > This happens with Lost, Doctor Who,  ER and any number of
> shows.  Lost
> > is especially bad, as there are something like 6 airings of a given
> > episode.
>
> There are usually only two descriptions at worst - the
> default one from the channel that is often applied to the
> repeats and the one written by RT staff that it often applied
> to the first showing.
>
> So it is usually sufficient to hit "never record" for
> whichever description you don't want and just let it get the
> other one.
>
> Of course if the show has a subtitle then you can just do
> duplicate checking based on that and ignore description - you
> have to be a bit careful of two part episode though as
> sometimes both parts have the same subtitle.

That does seem to be true, but they also have a habit of only including
the episode number as part of sub-title for some of the showings, which
adds to the perms.

Also,  I notice (because Myth recorded it!) that they are re-running
season 2 of Lost (6PM weekdays if you're interested).  These showings
seem to have yet another description.

Guy

The information contained in this message or any of its attachments may be confidential and is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s).  Any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited without the express permission of the sender.  The views expressed in this email are those of the individual and not necessarily those of Sony or Sony affiliated companies.  Sony email is for business use only.

This email and any response may be monitored by Sony to be in compliance with Sony’s global policies and standards