[mythtv-users] MPEG2 question

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Sep 22 14:28:52 UTC 2006

On Sep 22, 2006, at 8:16 AM, Sergei Gerasenko wrote:

> Once again, sorry if this is an FAQ.
>
> I have a PVR-150 and shows ARE recorded in MPEG2, but as is well
> known,
> the audio and video still need to be re-muxed before burning to a DVD.
>
> My question is, why won't manufacturers of TV tuners with hardware
> MPEG2
> encoders make their tuners record in DVD-ready MPEG format?

Probably to avoid being sued. Even if you might ultimately prevail in
a legal case, the MPAA and such can bankrupt a small company by
simply using delaying tactics to run up the legal bills, and large
outfits like MS are in bed with the content providers.

Some devices, such as standalone DVD recorders, do use hardware
encoding direct to DVD. Most of these devices pay attention to
MacroVision and other copyguard techniques and refuse to record a
protected program. This surely runs up the cost of the device, but
lowers the potential legal costs.