[mythtv-users] How to get Started with Myth on Xbox, was: (no subject)

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Sep 22 22:28:25 UTC 2006

On Sep 22, 2006, at 3:40 PM, David Lynam wrote:

> I'm sorry if I sound silly but I'm only a student with no experiece
> with MythTv, I was wondering if some one would be able to give me a
> step by step of how to install it on a XBOX, bearing in mind I have
> no experience with the program?
> Cheers

Well step one would be to put a meaningful subject line in your mail :-)

As I understand it an Xbox can only be used to run a MythTV frontend,
in other words it can only play back recorded material and not
schedule and record it in the first place.

If you are new to Linux as well as Myth I'd suggest working for a bit
to learn Linux basics before attempting a Myth installation. There is
a lot of good tutorial material on the net.

If you are familiar with Linux, I'd suggest you start out with a
combination frontend/backend system, perhaps using one of the "all-in-
one" solutions like KnoppMyth, MythDora or Amicus. Reading as much
Myth documentation as you can find is a good idea as well, there is a
lot in the WiKi and many other places.

The Xbox F/E would be of no use to you without a working backend, so
you might as well get that going first. Study the docs to see what
hardware you might want and make some basic decisions, like do you
want SD or HD, how many sources do you want to handle, how much
storage etc.