[mythtv-users] surround sound audio streams

jack snodgrass mrlinuxgroups at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 00:00:32 UTC 2006

On 9/22/06, Scott <list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc> wrote:

> On Sep 22, 2006, at 4:05 PM, jack snodgrass wrote:
>
> > How can I switch between the different audio streams while wating a
> > mythtv hdtv mpg recording?
>
> Are you really looking to switch audio tracks between DD 2.0 and DD
> 5.1? I'm wondering if you're setup is like mine, which is why I ask.
> For my setup, I have my A/V receiver hooked to the spdif of my sound
> card. I expect my A/V receiver to do all sound format detection and
> decoding. Up until recently I was having an issue where my receiver
> would only see 2 channel PCM analog via the spdif input regardless of
> if a AC3 5.1 stream was available.
>
> Maybe you could state what your physical setup looks like?
>
> > I know that there is a 5.1 surround sound
> > stream because I can play the .mpg file through vlc ( Video Lan
> > Client )
> > and on the HDTV recorded .mpg files, I have the option of changing
> > to the 5.1 stream.
>
> I haven't played with VLC in a long time. Is it really switching
> between audio formats or is it down mixing DD 5.1 surround into DD
> 2.0 stereo?

to be honest... I don't know... I know this.....

On a HDTV Recorded mpg stream from my mythbackend...
when I play it with VLC I get different sets of audio options
as the stream plays.

For example... during a show scene in CSI or NFL Football,
I can select:
mono
stereo
2 front / 2 rear
5.1
A52 over S/PDIF

when it goes to commerical I can only select:
mono
stereo
A52 over S/PDIF
... the 2 front / 2 rear and 5.1 options go away.

I select 5.1 during the show and I get 5.1 surround sound
out of my SoundBlaster Creative Audigy Sound card.
My 5.1 speakers are connected to 3 inputs on the sound card....
I don't think that it's 'digital'.  with 5.1 surround, I hear voices in
the center channel and crowd noise / background noise in the
satelite speakers.

I am assuming since the audio stream during a show list
5.1 and the comercials don't... then there IS a 5.1 stream
of some sort broadcast during the show that alsa and vlc
can decode.

When I watch CSI or NFL Football with mythtv or mythfrontend...
I can't get the 5.1 surround sound to work... no woman behind me
yelling at the refs telling him he's blind..... ;) I love surround sound. ;)
Scared the crap out of me the first time I watched a HDTV show with
my speaker set up.

Does that help at all explain my situation?

jack