[mythtv-users] LVM2 Striping Suggestions...

Robin Smith 1canuck2 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 05:19:36 UTC 2006

Yikes! Having been burned by too many dead hard drives in my life, I
would never consider this option... you are essentially double your
chances of complete data loss. Why do you feel you need the extra I/O
for Myth? I have a PVR350 and a PVR500 that can handle simultaneous
recording on all three tuners while playing back a fourth previously
recorded show, and there's no noticeable slowdown.

I am running this config on LVM with a SATA-based RAID5 array
underneath attached to an Adaptec RAID controller. I can have a disk
die and lose nothing. RAID5 is better I/O than one disk on its own,
but not as good as striped. It costs more to do, but the paranoid
person inside me is happy.

Also, why two PVR350s? Do you already own them, or are you planning to
buy? You'd only need one 350, if you are planning to playback from the
onboard hardware, and could spend your second 350 budget on PVR150
(and save money) or a PVR500 (and get three tuner recording).

Robin