[mythtv-users] LVM2 Striping Suggestions...

Robin Smith 1canuck2 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 01:09:49 UTC 2006

I work in IT, so statistically, my odds may be higher. For IBM
Deskstar drives (Deathstar's as we used to call them), our failure
rate was a whopping 9% until they released new firmware. We are on
Western Digital Caviar drives and the failure rate is still around 4%.
My RAID5 array uses four Samsung Spinpoint SATA drives (which are
quiet). I started out with just two, LVM together as you are
describing, and one of the bastard drives died! I got it replaced
under warranty and then bit the bullet and bought two more drives and
a RAID card as I was not happy with the risk. The type of failure I am
describing are happening within the first two months of buying the
drive, so I think its an issue with DOA states not lifepsan stats. I
also have other PCs where I have been running four 80GB drives for
four years no problem, so I can attest to some drives also having long
lifespan. Unfortunately, it seems like its a gamble though. I do not
buy cheap drives either, these are all high quality brand name drives.

My thought on data integrity versus performance:
I'll take data integrity any day. First of all, the performance you
will get without striping will NOT be poor, so the striping issue is
somewhat moot as I'd consider it uneccesary, even with four streams
recording and one playing back. Data integrity was one of my goals (as
well as quiet sexy looking HTPC), primarily because:
1. It takes a long time to set up a good Mythbox and I don't want to
repeat the tasks in a panic when something goes wrong with a disk.
2. I don't want to lose my recordings. Sure its "just" TV, but why
invest the time and effort to setup a PVR and record/archive stuff if
you don't mind if it gets lost? I would be pissed if I lost my current
set of recordings. I don't want to have to archive to DVD in a timely
fashion because I fear for the loss of data, that's just not
convenient for me.

That's my perspective anyway. To sum up, I'd basically challenge you
with: why stripe and increase your risk of data loss when it is
completely uneccessary based on your current plans? You don't need the
striping performance, so don't bother taking the risk it brings.
Return one of your PVR350s, spend the money on a third 250GB disk and
set up RAID5. Four simultaneous recordings sounds cool, but how often
are there four things on at one time that you won't get through
timeshifting? Three is still an awesome number of simultaneous
recordings...

Robin