[mythtv-users] tv_grab_au-1.41 and ABC2

Lincoln Dale ltd at interlink.com.au
Sun Sep 24 11:16:01 UTC 2006

> > i'd suggest you run it without using --warper.
>
> This works. But what's the downside of not using webwarper? I've never
> been really clear what exactly it does, and how it's different to
> --obfuscate?

--warper proxies the requests through a service called WebWarper
(http://www.webwarper.net/).  this is essentially an 'anonymizer' service,
meaning that it is difficult for the server you're collecting data from to
determine your ip-address.
there is really no need to do this.

--obfuscate makes the HTTP requests _look_ like they are coming from a http
proxy.  the intent here is that the data-service may allow more requests
from a single ip-address if it looks like a proxy than an individual client.

there really is no need to use either of them.  the original ninemsn grabber
had them, so they were simply options carried across from that.

reality is that with 'detailed' information, collecting data from the
yahoo7_widget is a total of 7 HTTP requests for 1 week of data. (1 per day).
and collecting data from www.abc.net.au (for ABC2) shouldn't really worry
the ABC either .. they aren't "commercial".

cheers,

lincoln.