[mythtv-users] S-ATA

Stephen Boddy stephen.boddy at btinternet.com
Sun Sep 24 15:25:33 UTC 2006

On Sunday 24 September 2006 00:19, Martin Ravell wrote:
> I have a Silicon Image 3x12 based S-ATA card for my machine but am having
> trouble getting it recognised by my new FC5, Jarod's Guide, ATRPM's, 3 GHz
> Intel board Myth0.20 machine.
>

> Phew, that was a mouthfull.
>

> Has anyone successfully gotten this card to be recognised?
>

> I do not seem to see it in an lspci. Does this simply mean that I am
> missing drivers?

It is irrelevant.

All PCI devices have a vendor id and device id (i.e. 105a:3d17)

All lspci does is iterate over the PCI bus and looks up the human readable
text from known vendor/devices. (i.e. 105a:3d17 == Mass storage controller:
Promise Technology, Inc. PDC20718 (SATA 300 TX4) (rev 02)) See the
file /usr/share/pci.ids but your vendor id should be 1095 (Silicon Image,
Inc.) and the device id of your pci device is probably not listed in the
pci.ids file against this vendor id.

When you load a kernel module it has a list of vendor device ids for which the
driver is applicable. If it finds one of those devices it will "bind" itself
to that device.

For my above device the sata_promise driver is the correct one. Prior to
kernel 2.6.16 (I think) the driver did not include the vendor device ids for
this device (the 3d17 bit). By adding the vendor/device to the kernel source
and rebuilding the kernel, the driver worked fine.

Your controller would likely need the sata_sil driver
(/usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/sata_sil.c) If this driver isn't loaded, then
try modprobe'ing it and see if you can then see attached drives with
fdisk -l. If you still can't see the attached drives, you may be able to
patch the kernel source and it may work. YMMV

--
Steve Boddy