[mythtv-users] Energe Conservation, was: Happy Anniversary

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Sun Sep 24 17:43:16 UTC 2006

Niklas Brunlid wrote:
> Was that heatsink there when you bought it, or did you add it yourself?
> I've found that the PVR cards are easily the hottest components in my
> backend/frontend computer next to the PSU, even with a dual 4-disk RAID5
> in there.

Older cards based on the CX23415 encoder/decoder chip run fairly warm, but
the encoder-only CX23416 used in most newer capture cards doesn't need a
heatsink. The PVR-500 in my MythTV box and the quad-input boards (with four
CX23416s) that we make at work for our security DVRs run OK without
heatsinks.

  _/_