[mythtv-users] vga to scart

Richard Smith mythtv-users at theras.org
Mon Sep 25 09:36:44 UTC 2006

On 9/25/06, Adam Egger <mythtv2006 at bdam.de> wrote:
> On 9/25/06, wouter lists <wouter.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have my television connected to my PC via a vga-to-scart cable.
>
> Can those cheap scart to vga adapters which are normally used to
> connect a projector to a television really be used to connect every pc
> to a television? Just wanted to buy a new video card with tv-out for
> my old pc, but this solution seems to be even cheaper :)
>
> I found one on german eBay for just 3.99€:
> http://cgi.ebay.de/Scart-an-VGA-Adapter-Kabel-fuer-Beamer-Euro-AV-TV-2m-NEU_W0QQitemZ320031101918QQihZ011QQcategoryZ131886QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>
> Adam

Yes, if your graphics card can run at TV hsync and vsync rates, and
output composite sync.  If it supports the video modes but won't
output composite sync then you need a sync combiner, I'm using the
design from
http://www.nexusuk.org/projects/vga2scart/
with an nVidia 6150 integrated GPU.  Easiest way to build it is to
chop the end off a VGA extension lead, solder a scart connector on the
end then build the sync combiner into the scart connector.  My TV also
needed 3V on the fast blanking input (pin 16) to make it use RGB, some
TVs you can switch manually.

Richard.