[mythtv-users] How much horespower for frontend?

MagicITX magicitx at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 03:16:48 UTC 2006

> On Sep 25, 2006, at 5:59 PM, James Pifer wrote:
>
> > I've always used a MediaMVP for watching recordings on my TVs and
> > therefore missed out on the advantage of the frontend. I finally
> > picked
> > up an FX5200. It's a PCI model since my machines do not have AGP or
> > PCIe.
> >
> > Anyway, I first installed it in my backend machine which is:
> > AMD Athlon 1400+ (I believe this is around 1Ghz)
> > 768 MB Ram
> > 400+ GB Hard Disk
> > PVR350 & PVR250
> > FC5 & myth 0.20
> >
> > I immediately noticed some issues, with both the SVideo out and with
> > connecting the VGA directly to my projector. Besides a brightness
> > issue,
> > playback does not play well. I get a lot of stuttering, although no
> > errors on the frontend while playing it in a terminal window.
> >
> > For example, if I put CNN on where stuff constantly scrolls across the
> > screen, it constantly stutters. It's not smooth at all. I tried
> > watching
> > a football game over the weekend and it was unwatchable.
> >
> > So I pulled the FX5200 and stuck it in another machine. Exact same
> > specs
> > on the machine, except 512 MB RAM, minus the PVR cards, minus
> > mythbackend and lirc, etc. I got the same results. Swap does not
> > appear
> > to be being used at all if I look at 'top'.
> >
> > I'm NOT doing any HD. Are these machines not powerful enough for
> > this? I
> > have not seen the CPU go above 40%. I'm getting extremely frustrated
> > now. I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some
> > input. I
> > had one person try and give me a hand with the brightness issue in a
> > take a backseat.
> >
> > Any help or suggestions is appreciated.
> >

> Are you trying to de-interlace?, some of those routines might tax
> that little CPU, remember that the number shown by top is an average
> and you might be peaking well over that, though 40% seems like it
> should be OK.
>
> I also wonder about the PCI video card, that's a real potential
> bottleneck.
>
> Are you using XvMC? You might need it but I'm not sure how well it
> might work with a PCI video card.

I've run into this problem before.  I never fully understood it but
don't believe it is a horsepower issue.  As best I can tell it seemed
to come and go depending on the driver I used for the PVR-250.  You
might try upgrading the ivtv driver.  If you are using xvmc you might
try upgrading that driver as well.

--

Tim
www.magicitx.com