[mythtv-users] MB hunt continues....help please

Neil Dunbar neil.dunbar at pobox.com
Tue Sep 26 07:16:46 UTC 2006

On Monday 25 September 2006 20:54, jack snodgrass wrote:
> On 9/25/06, RH <pvr at bostonmacosx.dyndns.org> wrote:
> > Maybe I'm not asking the right questions...
> >
> > I'm looking for a 939 motherboard with onboard S/PDIF and S-Video.
> > 4 PCI slots too would be nice.

> Don't know.... I've tried a couple of different ABIT 939 motherboards with
> onboard audio and alsa recognized them but playing 5.1 surround
> sound ( ALSA:surround51 ) just KILLED the sound.. choppy as all
> get-out. I have to use my SoundBlaster Audigy card to play sound.
> I'm thinking of trying a Asus A8N-VM CSM board... it looks
> promising. Don't know about S/PDIF. I may get that ASUS board
> tonight and try it out.  - It only has 2 PCI slots though. If the
> gigabit ethernet does JUMBO Frames and the sound card works...
> I can live with 2 PCI slots.

The A8N-VM CSM is what I use. It does the job pretty well. The PCI-X slot is
unused right now (just a DBT-T card and a PVR-350 in the slots). Can't verify
the Jumbo frame, but the S/PDIF works nicely from the onboard Intel-HDA. The
nVidia 6150 also seems to do the trick, but I'm not doing HD (yet), so I
don't know if that'll last.

Just make sure you flash the BIOS to the most recent level - it's virtually
impossible to get Linux working with the older BIOSes.

I'm using an AMD 3800 X2 as CPU, but on reflection, that beast was overkill. A
single core would have done just as well, and required less cooling. I'm
getting a Coolermaster Susurro to see if I can lower the noise from my stock
cooler [not that it's bad - but I want it to be damn near silent, and since
it's in a HTPC case, I can't use those enormous fanless heatpipe tower
coolers].

Cheers,

Neil