[mythtv-users] /dev/video0 vanished?

Pete Cap peteoutside at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 26 11:58:44 UTC 2006

Nick <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
If there are no precompiled ivtv packages for CentOS, you can easily
compile it yourself. This will not affect your ability to install
mythtv-suite from atrpms.net as ivtv itself is not a dependency for
MythTV (if you have read Jarod's FC guides you can see the
installation of ivtv is a separate step). Once mythtv-suite is
installed, you should not have any further difficulties upgrading
MythTV in the future - just keep an eye on ivtvdriver.org for
important driver updates.

Obviously, if you want \the\ easiest installation/upgrade path for
your Myth box, run an OS that is directly supported (kernel modules in
addition to more regular packages) by a 3rd party repository (like
atrpms.net) and you're unlikley to need to compile anything.

Are there any 3rd party CentOS repos offering builds of ivtv?

Nick
Nick,

I think CentOS itself is fully supported.  As a newb I simply enabled all the repos and allowed yum to upgrade anything and everything whenever there was a new version--so I have a kernel from this completely optional "CentOS Plus" repo.  The "regular" kernel does appear to have corresponding packages in atrpms.  Oddly enough I can remove the "plus" kernel with yum but uname -r still shows it.

Anyway, I'll go and attempt to compile ivtv myself--I was more worried about its dependencies than anything else, perhaps that won't be so bad.

Thanks for your help!

--Pete