[mythtv-users] [OT] VIA EPIA - Share your experiences. Desktop has it arrived?

Stephen Dolan stephen.dolan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 12:05:18 UTC 2006

I've been running a VIA EPIA M10000 system with a PVR-250 as a
combined FE/BE for over a year now and I find it exceptionally good at
the job. I use a standard vanilla kernel (2.6.17) and X.org 7.0. The
kernel supports pretty much all the Via features out of the box,
including Via DRI, and X.org comes with the unichrome video drivers
built in.

Compile MythTV with XvMC VLD support and you have a box that does
hardware encoding (via PVR-250) and hardware assisted decoding for
playback. Recording uses ~1-2% cpu and playing uses ~15%. This leaves
plenty of overhead to install a www and email server on the box.

Overall, I find the system very stable (I'm using gentoo BTW)