[mythtv-users] [OT] VIA EPIA - Share your experiences. Desktop has it arrived?

Paul Andreassen paulx at andreassen.com.au
Tue Sep 26 13:43:19 UTC 2006

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 10:05 pm, Stephen Dolan wrote:
> I've been running a VIA EPIA M10000 system with a PVR-250 as a
> combined FE/BE for over a year now and I find it exceptionally good at
> the job. I use a standard vanilla kernel (2.6.17) and X.org 7.0. The
> kernel supports pretty much all the Via features out of the box,
> including Via DRI, and X.org comes with the unichrome video drivers
> built in.
>
> Compile MythTV with XvMC VLD support and you have a box that does
> hardware encoding (via PVR-250) and hardware assisted decoding for
> playback. Recording uses ~1-2% cpu and playing uses ~15%. This leaves
> plenty of overhead to install a www and email server on the box.
>
> Overall, I find the system very stable (I'm using gentoo BTW)

VIA been advertising a dual processor based VIA VT310-DP Mini-ITX mainboard in
Linux Journal but haven't put it up on there mainboard page.

Page 8 of
http://www.via.com.tw/en/downloads/whitepapers/initiatives/spearhead/cluster_server.pdf
shows the two processors.

http://www.via.com.tw/en/initiatives/spearhead/clusterserver/

Is it possible to get such a board or would I have to buy a 1U server?

Paul