[mythtv-users] Hauppauge PVR500 MCE Remote Doesn't Work

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 17:31:30 UTC 2006

> So here's what I have right now... I put your config example into
> /etc/lircd.conf. I even set the ownership to mythtv:root with perm's of 644.
> Then in /home/mythtv/.mythtv I have:
>
>  0 lrwxrwxrwx  1 mythtv mythtv    15 Sep 26 09:25 lircrc -> /etc/lircd.conf
>  0 lrwxrwxrwx  1 mythtv mythtv    15 Sep 26 09:25 .lircrc -> /etc/lircd.conf
>
> And in /home/mythtv, I have:
>
> 0 lrwxrwxrwx  1 mythtv mythtv   15 Sep 26 09:26 .lircrc -> /etc/lircd.conf

This is not going to work. lircd.conf and lircrc are completely
different -- lircd.conf maps remote codes to buttons, letting the
remote control lircd. Lircrc maps remote buttons to commands in
MythtvTV, mplayer, etc.

You should already have a default lircd.conf in
/usr/share/doc/lirc/remotes/mceusb/. Just copy the lircd.conf.mceusb
to /etc/lircd.conf.

You can also get lircd.conf and lircrc for an MCE remote (with good
instructions on setting them up) here:
http://www.netreveal.com/ddalton/2006/04/htpc_remote_on_fedora_core_4_o_1.html

More info on the wiki:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/MCE_Remote