[mythtv-users] Hauppauge PVR500 MCE Remote Doesn't Work

Andrew Davis andrew at nccomp.com
Tue Sep 26 17:44:54 UTC 2006

Dewey Smolka wrote:
>> So here's what I have right now... I put your config example into
>> /etc/lircd.conf. I even set the ownership to mythtv:root with perm's
>> of 644.
>> Then in /home/mythtv/.mythtv I have:
>>
>>  0 lrwxrwxrwx  1 mythtv mythtv    15 Sep 26 09:25 lircrc ->
>> /etc/lircd.conf
>>  0 lrwxrwxrwx  1 mythtv mythtv    15 Sep 26 09:25 .lircrc ->
>> /etc/lircd.conf
>>
>> And in /home/mythtv, I have:
>>
>> 0 lrwxrwxrwx  1 mythtv mythtv   15 Sep 26 09:26 .lircrc ->
>> /etc/lircd.conf
>
> This is not going to work. lircd.conf and lircrc are completely
> different -- lircd.conf maps remote codes to buttons, letting the
> remote control lircd. Lircrc maps remote buttons to commands in
> MythtvTV, mplayer, etc.
>
> You should already have a default lircd.conf in
> /usr/share/doc/lirc/remotes/mceusb/. Just copy the lircd.conf.mceusb
> to /etc/lircd.conf.
>
> You can also get lircd.conf and lircrc for an MCE remote (with good
> instructions on setting them up) here:
> http://www.netreveal.com/ddalton/2006/04/htpc_remote_on_fedora_core_4_o_1.html
>

> More info on the wiki:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/MCE_Remote

Thanks... I've been clued in as to the differences and have things
working now. Perhaps I should've included the word newb in my post. :)
FWIW I did try copying the /usr/share/doc/lirc/remotes/mceusb over and
got nothing from "irw". Not sure why, but the listing on
http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/ only has the RC-5 remotes and mine
says RC-6. Once I ran irrecord I was all set. :)