[mythtv-users] QAM channels in San Jose area

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 15:14:46 UTC 2006

On 9/27/06, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Could be a noisy signal too, I've been experiencing this recently
> > (worked fine, until about two weeks ago) and have a Comcast tech
> > coming out on friday to look at it
> >
> Could be. What I did was hook up my (needs-to-be-replaced) antenna and I
> see now that it's /probably/ not the board. I see pixelazation on fast
> active scenes (especially noticed when a person is moving but the
> background stays constant.) but otherwise looks better. This is live TV.
> I recorded some last night and I'll check them out today to see if the
> recordings are different. (version 0.19)

ah, yea, this is the station's fault, stations in many areas don't use
a high enough bitrate. Its especially noticeable during live sports on
1080i stations, sadly, where its most needed.

Stations get "raw" feeds for sports and then re-encode before
broadcast, sadly most will compress the hell out of signals, or their
equipment is not up to the challenge of real-time compression to such
bitrates, without loosing lots of quality. I don't quite know what the
exact problem is, only the outcome. Some will do so with their show
feeds as well, which is quite sad, OTA HD could be so much better, and
the low bitrates used can be partly to blame for the "HD is not much
better than upscaled DVD" talk...

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!