[mythtv-users] Changing TV provider: what steps to take in MythTV?

Adam Hirsch mythtv at quakerporn.com
Wed Sep 27 16:02:00 UTC 2006

Kevin Kuphal (kuphal at dls.net) wrote:

> > We're about to change our TV provider from DishNetwork to DirecTV, which
> > will completely change our channel order and lineup.  What's the best
> > sequence of operations to fill our mythtv database with new program info
> > while preserving the information about shows we've currently got recorded
> > and stored?  Re-run the setup as if we're starting from scratch?

> Basically, change your line-up on zap2it, save it, run mythfilldatabase.
> It will have both schedules in there until the old data falls off, but if
> you want to remove that, just truncate your program table (I think there
> used to be a button for this in mythtv-setup but a recent post from
> Michael on this subject in the archives dispelled this IIRC) before
> running mythfilldatabase to get the new schedule.

ah, cool.  So meta-information about existing shows will be preserved, and
I can figure out the database steps to toss the remaining database info for
our now-defunct lineup.   Works for me.

Adam

--
I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think,
all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read and all the