[mythtv-users] Running as root

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Wed Sep 27 20:26:17 UTC 2006

On Wed Sep 27, 2006 at 03:02:28PM -0500, Chris Moewes-Bystrom wrote:

> I have my mythbox set up with gdm auto logging in my mythtv user, who then
> has a startup script to launch the front end. I was going through the config
> screens last night and I saw a setting that mentions something about if the
> frontend is running as root and allowing it run at higher privildge (I
> assume nice or something). Anyone know why, beyond the obvious security
> issues, that running the frontend (on a dedicated system) as root would be a
> good or a bad idea??

Other than the security issues, I'm not sure of any reason not to.
There is a potential for configuration mixup as some settings are saved
in the home directory - these won't be in sync for the backend &
frontend (I'm not sure there's any overlapping setting anyway).

Incidentally, there are other ways of getting realtime priority for the
frontend - see http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-5.html for
details.  I use the realtime module on my system (as Gentoo uses an
older version of PAM than required for this) which works without any
issues.

Cheers,
        Robin

--