[mythtv-users] Running as root

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Thu Sep 28 09:26:44 UTC 2006

On Thu Sep 28, 2006 at 10:19:09AM +0200, Tino Keitel wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 21:26:17 +0100, Robin Hill wrote:
> > Other than the security issues, I'm not sure of any reason not to.
> > There is a potential for configuration mixup as some settings are saved
> > in the home directory - these won't be in sync for the backend &
> > frontend (I'm not sure there's any overlapping setting anyway).
>
> The backend and the frontend share all settings in the database. No
> settings that are required by the frontend _and_ backend are saved in
> the home directory. Just imaged how this would break if the frontend
> runs on another computer than the backend.

Yeah, I know that - it's just things like XMLTV config.  Running a
database update manually (as the frontend user) could produce different
results than running it automatically (as the backend user). I'd guess
there's the same issue if the two are on different servers, though you'd
be less likely to have the XMLTV config on the frontend machine at all.

Cheers,
        Robin
--
     ___