[mythtv-users] How to verify Firewire port is enabled with hd3250 tw cable?

Allan Wilson allanwilson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 16:25:54 UTC 2006

On 9/28/06, Gregg <3gemail at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have just picked up a SA 3250HD box from tw cable socal.  I connected
> the box and the firewire and get the following:
>
> [mythtv at mythtv ~]$ plugreport
> Host Adapter 0
> ==============
>
> Node 0 GUID 0x001692b6c1740000
> ------------------------------
> oMPR n_plugs=1, data_rate=2, bcast_channel=63
> oPCR[0] online=1, bcast_connection=0, n_p2p_connections=1
>         channel=0, data_rate=2, overhead_id=0, payload=146
> iMPR n_plugs=0, data_rate=2
>
> Node 1 GUID 0x00e0180000651c01
> ------------------------------
> libiec61883 error: error reading oMPR
> libiec61883 error: error reading iMPR
>

> From what I can tell this is normal, but when I try to run  test-mpeg2 -r
> 0 -> testcap.ts
> I get a file with zero bytes.  Is it possible that the port is not
> enabled, or is tw using 5c?  Below is some more output.
>
> [mythtv at mythtv ~]$ test-mpeg2 -r 0  > testcap.ts
> libiec61883 warning: Overlayed connection on channel 0.
> You may need to manually set the channel on the receiving node.
> Starting to receive
> done.
>

> -Gregg

Plug report looks good and you ran test-mpeg2 correctly. The output from
that command looks good. That is exactly what I get on my box when I run
that command. You have to make sure you are tuned to a hidef channel like
NBCHD, it shouldn't have 5c. Attached is Jim Westfall's script that should
help to prime firewire to get it working. Before his script you had to run
some plugctl commands to get it working. Now you just run his script with
the instructions below and you should be good to go. I got this script from
the mailing list about 2 weeks ago and I am sure there is a newer version.
You can look through the archives for his name and see the original posts.

Attached is a firewire tester I wrote up this evening.  I would like to
get a few firewire folks to give it a try.  It still needs a bit of clean
up, but should be mostly functional.

It allows testing of both p2p and broadcast connections, as well as
attempting to fix up broadcast connections.

should make testing easier then the test-mpeg2 > blah, ctrl-c, ls -l blah
method.

 Actions: (one is required)
   -b          - test broadcast connection
   -p          - test p2p connection
   -B          - attempt to fix/stabilize broadcast connection
   -n <node>   - required
   -P <port>   - default 0
   -v          - verbose

$ ./firewire_tester -p -n 2
Testing P2P connection, node 2, channel 2
p2p: failed

$ ./firewire_tester -b -n 2
Testing broadcast connection, node 2, channel 61
broadcast: failed

$ ./firewire_tester -B -n 2
Attempting to fixup broadcast connection on node 2
broadcast: failed
p2p: failed
p2p: success, 162 packets received
broadcast: failed
p2p: failed
p2p: success, 163 packets received
broadcast: failed
p2p: failed
p2p: success, 110 packets received
broadcast: success, 77 packets
broadcast: success, 99 packets
broadcast: success, 113 packets
broadcast: success, 153 packets
broadcast: success, 141 packets
fix bcast success

$ ./firewire_tester -b -n 2
Testing broadcast connection, node 2, channel 61
broadcast: success, 106 packets

Allan