[mythtv-users] Neebie Help Please!! Mandriva 2006 mysqld and mysql neither working

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Sep 28 17:59:00 UTC 2006

scott at tbwifi.ca wrote:

>>> Thanks for the reply...
>>>
>>> Is server running --> mysqld dead but subsys locked
>>> Attempt to login  --> ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server
>>>          through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
>> There's your problem. The daemon is not running. If you try 'service
>> mysqld restart' as a user you will probably get a 'permission denied'
>> error. If you do that as root, the restart will clear the
>> /var/lock/mysqld lockfile.
>
> No such luck.  FAILED on stop and start.  Status shows mysqld dead but
> subsys locked.  How does one unlock it?

Of course the stop fails: it was not running.
The 'subsys' is really the lock file. Delete the file /var/lock/mysql
and try 'mysqld_safe' from a root command line. That might produce more
error messages.

Can you 'ping localhost'?
Does 'service network restart' complete cleanly?
Does '/usr/bin/mysqld_safe' run cleanly?
Do you have a script file /etc/init.d/mysqld?
Do you have the *correct* script file?
Do you have a my.cnf file?
You say you have installed a number of times but you must be missing
some part of the setup.]

        Helping with the HTTP issue