[mythtv-users] Running as root

Michael Lynch lynchmv at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 19:12:20 UTC 2006

On 9/28/06, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
> Robin Hill wrote:
> > On Wed Sep 27, 2006 at 03:02:28PM -0500, Chris Moewes-Bystrom wrote:
> >
> >> I have my mythbox set up with gdm auto logging in my mythtv user, who then
> >> has a startup script to launch the front end. I was going through the config
> >> screens last night and I saw a setting that mentions something about if the
> >> frontend is running as root and allowing it run at higher privildge (I
> >> assume nice or something). Anyone know why, beyond the obvious security
> >> issues, that running the frontend (on a dedicated system) as root would be a
> >> good or a bad idea??
>
> Unless someone on this list can provide a workaround, you will find that
>   you cannot auto login as root... for no discernible reason that I can
> find, except possibly the obstinate religious fervor of the
> 'never-run-as-root' crowd.
>
>               R. Geoffrey Newbury

I've got auto-login as root working on Slackware 10.2 with fluxbox.  I
forget where I found the info, but here it is:

=====Relevant sections of /etc/initab:=====
# Default runlevel. (Do not set to 0 or 6)
id:4:initdefault:
x1:4:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc.xinit

=====cat /etc/rc.d/rc.xinit=====
#!/bin/sh
HOME='/root'
PATH="/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin"
PATH="$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin"
/bin/bash /usr/X11R6/bin/startx

=====Relevant sections of /etc/rc.d/rc.local=====
## MythBackend
/usr/local/bin/mythbackend -d -l /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log
## LIRCD
/usr/local/sbin/lircd

=====Relevant sections of ~/.fluxbox/startup:=====
# Applications you want to run with fluxbox.
# MAKE SURE THAT APPS THAT KEEP RUNNING HAVE AN ''&'' AT THE END.
#
/usr/local/bin/irexec &
/usr/local/bin/mythfrontend -l /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log &